Hasan Kalyoncu University School of Foreign Languages
2020-21 Academic Year Prep School Education Plan Announcement
It has been decided by the Senate of our University to continue education in the fall semester of the 2020-2021 academic year, which will start on October 5, 2020, with a HYBRID approach, in which both face-to-face and online teaching methods will be applied together. In this context, it is crucial to carefully follow the following items regarding the preparatory education to be given at the School of Foreign Languages (SFL).
- After 30 minutes of face-to-face classes, the classrooms will be aired for 30 minutes, and then another 30-minute-class will continue.
- In cases where there are no students in the classroom, lessons will be conducted directly on the online classroom.
- Even if there is only one student in the classroom, the lessons will still be conducted in online classroom and enriched with alternative methods (question-answer, discussion, brainstorming, etc.) in a way that ensures the interaction and active participation of the students in the classroom.
- Our students who want to get preparatory class education with online teaching method will be able to access Hasan Kalyoncu University Distance Education Management System on hku.edu.tr. Username is our students’ registration number; and the password is their ID number.
SFL Proficiency and Placement Exam:
- As stated in the academic calendar, the SFL Exemption and Proficiency Exams will be held face-to-face on HKU campus in two sessions on 6 October 2020. Students who do not take the exam will start preparatory education from the basic (A1) level. The classrooms to be used for both sessions and the information related to the classrooms in which students will take the exam will be announced on the web page of our school (https://ydy.hku.edu.tr/) one week before the exam.
- In the first session, our students will be subjected to an exam to measure their listening, reading and writing skills. In the second session, speaking skills will be measured. Exemption and placement to appropriate levels will be made according to the points to be obtained as a result of these two sessions and these processes will be announced in detail on the web page of our school.
- As a result of the evaluations, students who will receive preparatory education will be divided into groups according to their levels. A sales stand will be set up by publishing houses in the building of our school for the purchase of textbooks to be used for a year, and our students will be able to obtain their books by this method. Our students will also be able to purchase books online. We will share later details about the online sales method by which the books will be delivered to their homes by cargo.
- The courses at our school will start on 12 October 2020, and the class lists and course timetables will be shared on our website (https://ydy.hku.edu.tr/) on 9 October 2020. Students can prefer to attend classes face to face by coming to our campus where the necessary Covid-19 measures are taken. And they can prefer to attend classes online from wherever they are. Attendance record will be taken in both forms of participation.
- Attendance limit is 80% for all face-to-face or online courses. If students attend classes online, attendance will be taken automatically by the system. If the students come to the classrooms, the relevant instructor will follow the attendance by taking a signature of students on the attendance sheet.
- For the evaluation of success, it is planned to conduct the progress tests and midterm exams online. Speaking and writing portfolio studies, on the other hand, including assignments, projects, research, etc. may be performed remotely.
- End of Term exams will be held face-to-face. Depending on the course of the pandemic (Covid-19), an online supervised exam application can also be used.
The decisions taken above can be updated by the University Senate depending on the global pandemic process and / or the decisions to be taken by YOK.
Hope to have a year full of success and health altogether.
Inst. Mehmet Salih YOĞUN
Director, School of Foreign Languages
Click here to download the announcement text